Friday, March 26, 2010

February 13, 2010 - Varkala, India


I planned my birthday trip to Varkala this year. Since I can't leave the country, we hired a driver for the weekend and drove to Varkala February 13th. We left at 8:00, stopped for lunch and finally arrived at 2:30 P.M. We stayed at a hotel called Hill View which was right on top of a cliff where there were tons of other hotels, restaurants and shops. After walking around for a couple hours we met up with a few American women who is friends with a acquaintece of mine here. We sat around had snacks, drank beers and talked most of the evening then met a couple of guy from North England who were such a hoot and fun to be around.

Sunday, my birthday, we shopped, met up with Debbie to see her homestay. Then we went to the South end of he beach.
I got a Puja done for my 4 grandparents by some sort of guru, brahamn or maybe just someone pretending to be one of those. I didn't ask, he told me he was going to do it. Anyway, I had to go through this ritual of sprinking seeds and water, covering them with a banana leaf holding it on top of my head and walking to the ocean water to drop them in. It was something that I will never forget. The rest of the trip we swam in the ocean ate tons of seafood, met up with the England guys again to share laughter and more beers.

The end of the trip was special too. I asked the driver to stop at Amma's Ashram in Kollam. It was about a 45 minute drive out of our way. I didn't realize the Ashram was so big! It's a small city in itself. The main bookstore was closed but a small one was open so I bought a few brackets and such. Amma was there the day before. I was sorry to have missed her but at least I've had a hug and kiss from her, that's more than most get!!


I had another great birthday!!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Love this post Angela! Makes me all teary eyed seeing the place I love so much~ Thank You for posting this~ The puja sounds so wonderful too. One day I want to go to Ammas Ashram. I know a woman who has an apartment there at the ashram. And yes, you are right..a Kiss AND a hug! I have only gotten a hug! ;0) xx