Monday, February 2, 2009

September 9, 2008

Our usual driver asked me yesterday, "how you like Kochi", I told him, like I always say when the Keralits ask me the same question, "it's nice", while grinning and smiling. What I really want to say is, "why do all of you all stare at me so intensely, like I've just landed here from another planet. Everywhere I go you all stare, haven't you seen a white chubby women before? Why do you talk about me in Malayalam? I would love to get to know you and talk to you!

We keep the screened windows open as we have air conditioning only in our bedroom. Everyday just like the "trash" lady, comes a guy on a bicycle that toots a funny sounding horn and he is the fish guy. We have seen or heard this funny sound all over town and never knew it was the or a "fish guy". While buying our dinner, I started talking to a guy who invited me up to his flat to meet his wife and 2 month old baby. Who knew buying fish would be an enjoyable experience. She even invited me up anytime to watch her cook and give me lessons!

I went to "Monsoon Beauty Salon" the other day to get a pedicure and my eyebrows waxed. This place was much better and cheaper than my regular place below our hotel we stayed at, foreverrrr, called Olee. The usual happened at first, all talking in Malayalam about me and the hard stares. Don't they know I can tell when they talk about me? I felt a little pissed off and vulnerable. After an half and hour someone started talking to me in English! It appeared every one in the shop started to warm up and everyone seemed to be smiling and jabbering away and it felt like I became "one of the girls". Instead of waxing my eyebrows, they do "treading". I was a little apprehensive at first and now I don't think I ever want my eyebrows waxed again...threading baby! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threading_(epilation)

My back has been hurting so I looked in the yellow pages for acupuncture. There was only 1 person in the entire state of Kerala listed so I called up the driver and he took me to the clinic. I walked up the brick inlaid step and knocked at the broken handle with string attached door. A girl answered and spook to me in Malayam but quickly closed it when I had a dumb look on my face. Though, before closing the door she pointed her finger to the 2 rows of seats arranged in the back yard. I quickly sat down and waited in the backyard "waiting room" with mosquitoes chewing at my ankles. After a few minutes, a women came out who apparently worked there. She had what looked like stainless steel pot and pans and was washing them in the town public water spicket. I should have not walked but ran our when I had the chance. About 10 minutes later I was called in and pointed to sit in front of Dr. Jolly. He asked lots of questions but not about my health but about how did I get there, when did I come here, where did I come from, etc…you get the picture. Then he said he couldn't treat me until I went to a lab and got blood work done. He said since I was over weight, dah, he needed to know I was healthy. I said "you want my blood for acupuncture?". Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, see you tomorrow, lah. &&%$%$! I ran out as fast as I could....yo, no blood from me!


I'm saving the best for last...our "iron guys". They use the old fashion coal irons. They are at our apartment below almost everyday and they do our ironing for practically nothing, 3 rupees per item!! Which is 0.07 in the U.S. Woo hoo! Toodles, Angela

No comments: